Advertisements

My first attempt at sculpting an Oggam in 15mm, WIP

13 Oct

Ok, let me first say this. I have never sculpted anything in this scale. Yes, I have sculpted lots of bigger things, but never something this small. I know there is a few issues with this figure, but considering I haven’t done this before. I messed up with the legs, I should have done them first, and the hands lack finesse, but with a little bit more work it will probably be ok. Please feel free to leave any constructive criticism, tips or comments that you think would help. He’s about 15mm dead on, and I’ll do a size comparison later to show it next to another 15/18mm figure. Anyway here are the photos!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

So, is it worth me carrying on with sculpting this size? One thing is for sure, I need to get some proper sculpting tools (I did this with a pin and a circle compass point!)

TTFN

Enhanced by Zemanta
Advertisements

11 Responses to “My first attempt at sculpting an Oggam in 15mm, WIP”

1. Brian October 13, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Well, I would say that if this is your first attempt it looks good. I can see what it is, though unfamiliar with the Oggam. Maybe a little more definition for the separation of the trigger hand from the clothing. Other than that I would add that I have seen some sculptors use nothing more than a broken tip xacto knife for 60% of their work.

• grimace73 October 13, 2012 at 4:02 am #

Thanks for your comment, the hands and legs I am not proud of, they still need work, but I’m still learning!! The Oggam are my race of mutant pig men I’m trying to get made, I’m having them sculpted professionally at the moment, I just wanted to see if I could make a few myself, then I could get more sculpts done for my range!!

• Brian October 14, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

When you say made are you trying to mass produce them? Metal or resin? Manufactured where?

• grimace73 October 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

Thanks for your comment Brian, I’ve had a plan for a while now to get a range of figures into manufacture, under the flag of “Grinning Skull Miniatures”, it started as just a bit of something to do as a personal challenge, I just thought I’d try something new, no experience, nothing, all from scratch. As I progressed further, I have had a steep learning curve, the original indiegogo campaign bombed as I hadn’t really understood the whole process, so I have been constantly trying to improve on all counts ready to relaunch on Kickstarter in a few months (thats if I can’t get the spare cash to totyally fund it myself) I have made it my plan to get these figures made in white metal for wargames, and things are going quite good concerning the whole operation.
        Would I like to keep going after that? Yes, I think I’d like to keep making unusual and strange minis if I could, I wouldn’t be bothered if I didn’t make any money, I think I’d put it back in to keep creating things for people to use (and in my own games too!)
        The moulding/casting side is being taken care of by the guy’s at pendraken.co.uk, they make 10mm figures, so are used to casting small and fiddly minis!, but I do hope that the first lot of Oggam will be done before Feb/March at the latest!!

• Brian October 14, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Good to hear the company works in that scale. The company I work for tries to stay away from 10mm. Mostly due to the, as you say, fiddlyness, of that size. Though from what I have seen so far they look fairly easy to cast.

• grimace73 October 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Yeah they really are nice and easy to work with, and a good price too, I had quite a lot of quotes and they were the best as far as the whole process was concerned. I think they are going to be easy to cast, I have done a fair amount of casting in other materials so I have tried to make sure they don’t have a bad profile that’d cause moulding problems. I can’t say that about some of the specials I have planned, they will possibly need to be multipart. The specials will probably be extra models for stretch goals on the campaign as well as available separate afterwards!

• Brian October 14, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

When You say multipart are you going to sprue them up? If so, that could only be a problem if they need cutting. 10mm can be tricky to cut without losing the details at the joints. It takes a really fine blade to cut most of the materials used out there.

• grimace73 October 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm #

No, these are in 15mm, the company doing the casting usually do their own stuff in 10mm! I mean that some bits for the specials will be for equipment like artillery and bikes so there will be a few pieces that will need several parts (bike + rider torso etc) they will just be separate bits that will need a little assembly before painting etc! I’d like to do a tank or apc to go with them, but that’s going to take some planning and designing. They will probably be in resin if I do one, but I don’t think its a priority as the oggam would repurpose stolen or existing tech usually, and there are plenty of good manufacturers making lots of different choices!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. New oggam greens and size comparison photos! « The Grinning Skull - October 14, 2012

[…] [The Grinning Skull] My first attempt at sculpting an Oggam in 15mm, WIP […]

2. Oggam 15mm new sculpts, Comms and trooper « The Grinning Skull - October 16, 2012

3. More little piggy sculpts and a bit of news…. « The Grinning Skull - October 20, 2012